Under his direction, Metro Community Development has obtained over $52 million in grant funds from public and private for various community and economic development initiatives, and became a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), a SBA Regional Intermediary for micro-loans, and member of the Federal Home Loan Bank to bring capital resources to help sustain small and medium size businesses in the current challenging economic environment. As a CDFI, Ravi raised $5 million in capital, helping to sustain 27 small businesses with combined revenues of $21 million and preserving over 260 jobs.
Ravi’s academic background includes: MBA from University of Michigan, MA from Eastern Michigan University and Certified Planner. BS and Law degrees from Osmania University, India.
Elected to Rochester Hills City Council in 2005 and 2009, he served on Finance Committee, Water and Sewer Committee, Master Thoroughfare Plan Committee, Green Space Committee, and Strategic Planning Committee. He was instrumental in initiating a strategic plan, and advocating for recycling, a three year budget plan, investing in roads and infrastructure, keeping taxes low, amending the charter to preserve parks and green space, merging 911 dispatch with County and saving the city annually $750,000, opposed the water reservoirs and leasing of parks and cemetery to oil and gas leasing.
Professional affiliations include American Planning Association, Michigan Association of Planners and National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials.
- Received 2014 Community Economic Development Leader of the Year Award from Community Economic Development Association of Michigan for Metro Community Development.
- Outstanding contributions for Public Housing Communities in Ypsilanti, Lansing and Saginaw from U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Leadership award for Fair Housing from HUD-Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
- Outstanding Achievement from Saginaw County Commission on Aging.
Community and Professional Activities include:
- Board Member – Rochester Area Neighborhood House
- Board Member – Avondale Youth Assistance
- Former Board Member – Paint Creek Trailways Commission
- Treasurer and Commissioner – Older Persons Commission (OPC!) – 2005 – 2013
- Chair – United Way Community Investment Cabinet – 2005 – 2013
- Vice-Chair – United Way of Genesee County – 2005 – 2013
- Board Member – JP Morgan Chase National Community Advisory Board
- Member – Advisory Council – Federal Home Loan Bank of Indianapolis 2012 – 2013
- Former Vice President – Legal Service of Eastern Michigan
- Board Member – Genesee County Habitat for Humanity – 1999 – 2011
- Chair – Resource Genesee – 2007 – 2011
- Former Board Member – Shelter of Flint for Women and Children
- Housing Authority Risk Retention Group – Former Member – Council of Advisors